Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday. Originally started by The Broke and The Bookish, I’ve been inspired to give you a list of ten books from some category or another that I absolutely love.
This week, in honor of Mental Health Month, I’m going to list ten books that deal with mental illness.
- The First Time She Drowned by Kerry Kletter
- This book was so hard but so worth it. It dealt with mental institutions and PTSD so well.
- OCD Love Story by Corey Ann Haydu
- Two people with OCD fall in love. Need I say more?
- The Nature of Jade by Deb Caletti
- Jade’s anxiety is very realistic and her coping mechanisms make for a a great story.
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
- This book deals with suicide. We follow along thirteen mixtapes that list thirteen reasons why a girl ended her life. A very important story.
- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
- Socially awkward Cath is so very cute and relatable and if you don’t read the book for that then do it for Levi. Read it for Levi.
- Insurgent by Veronica Roth
- I know this is the second book in the series but hear me out. Insurgent is the book where Tris deals the most with her depression. Her character arc in this one book helped me during a really rough time in my anxiety journey.
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
- The reason this book makes the list is very spoilery and I just need all of you to read it and then come talk to me about it.
- Looking for Alaska by John Green
- Depression, social anxiety, and manic pixie dream girls?
- Wild Roses by Deb Caletti
- This book deals very well with how families are affected by loved ones with mental illness. Specifically prodigies with harmful mental illnesses.
- The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
- Any Dessen book is worth a read just for her characters. But this one in particular deals with loss and how that can affect your spirit.
All of these books I rate three stars or higher. Click on the links to buy them from Amazon. Happy reading!